mis·cel·la·ne·ous
–adjective

1. Consisting of members or elements of different kinds; of mixed character: a book of miscellaneous essays on American history.

2. Having various qualities, aspects, or subjects: a miscellaneous discussion.



Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Just My Shade of Green

As I’ve said in my bio and my blog, I love wine.  So, I could certainly call myself an oenophile.

Definition of OENOPHILE: a lover or connoisseur of wine

Besides sounding too similar to another “---phile” I don’t like the term because I think it sounds snooty.  And while I DO love wine, I am by far a connoisseur.  I consider myself always in the learning process, and I’m not afraid to ask for a recommendation if I’m not quite sure of a food and wine pairing.

There are many online resources for food & wine pairings.  A few years ago, however, I was introduced to this book:


It has become my bible for everyday wine references, for learning about new types of wine, and for can’t-go-wrong wine & food pairing advice.  Occasionally I come across a suggestion from a site I stumble upon, jot it down on a scrap of paper and hope that I remember to try it “some day.”  I had such an experience recently and picked up my first bottle of vinho verde (“green wine,”) this one by Gazela.  For those of you who like white wine but stick to your basic blancs, I would like to recommend this as a refreshing change of pace.  It is fun & fizzy and easy to drink.  I enjoyed it will grilled chicken a la Kevin, but it would go equally well with light pastas and seafood.

But don’t take MY word for it.  Let the 30-second Wine Advisor tell you more. 

Let me know what you think of this if you try it.  Better yet, buy a bottle and invite me over for a glass!

No comments: