mis·cel·la·ne·ous
–adjective

1. Consisting of members or elements of different kinds; of mixed character: a book of miscellaneous essays on American history.

2. Having various qualities, aspects, or subjects: a miscellaneous discussion.



Friday, August 12, 2011

That's My Style: A Series. (A Thoughtful Process.)

No truer words were spoken than from Dorothy:  “There’s no place like home.”

I love my home.  I love the fact that it is a respite from all the craziness of the outside world.  I love that it is where I create memories with my husband and daughter.  I love that it is OURS.  (Well, for the time being it is still the bank’s, but you know what I mean.)  I love opening its doors to friends and family and welcoming them in for fun & food.  But my house needs a little “spiffing up.”

After I wrote this blog, I started searching… soul searching and style searching.  I have never been the type of person who tries to impress others.  I am a “take me as I am” kind of gal.  If I am not to your liking, then you don’t have to be part of my world.  I am not high maintenance.  And now more than ever, I want to spend my time enjoying life rather than being a slave to polishing surfaces and chasing dust bunnies. 

I never looked at a Victoria’s Secret catalog and thought, “Why can’t I look like her?”  I realize that publications like those are a wicked combination of fantasy and PhotoShopping.  But those practical understandings didn’t carry that over to my drooling and swooning over these:




(By the way:  I do have a Christmas tree from these folks.  That does not translate into my sitting outside on the terrace of my villa in linen slacks and a silk tank top!)

So, I believe I have finally found a “look” that I can both relate to AND recreate in our home.  Little did I know that there is name for what I like and for what I have yearned for in my own home.  Call it vintage, cottage, shabby chic, flea market chic, perhaps even eclectic.  All these style terms mean, by my interpretation, use what you love and what you have and don’t worry because it will all come together and reflect your personality.  Follow those decorating guidelines and you certainly will have a unique décor, fun and functional, a welcoming and enjoyable place to call your own.

This epiphany certainly works well with my current budget.  Since I am a SAHM there is less play money in our house.  I am proud to say that I purchased our bedroom set and Kyla’s bedroom set when I was still working full time.  But now I can’t run out and spend a few thousand dollars to update our living room without batting an eye.  Time to rethink how I will spend our money!  Time to let others inspire me with their creativity and frugality!  Time to let myself set the tone instead of a catalog telling me how my house should look!

I have “just” two challenges:  I’m not a DIY kinda gal and I can’t thread a needle.  I am seeking to change both those things quickly.  My best friend reminded me today that somewhere nestled deep inside me, I must have those qualities.  My dad was always EXTRMELEY handy when I was growing up and we never hired out for improvements or repairs.  My mom sewed everything for me from Halloween costumes to a complete wedding ensemble for my Barbies.  We’ll see.  I’ve decided to start small.  I’m researching a basic, “idiot proof” sewing machine and I’m going to try to hang my own brackets for a café rod in the bathroom instead of calling my wonderful brother-in-law with my usual cry of “HELP ME!”

For every decorating dilemma there are a hundred online solutions.  There is no shortage of information and inspiration in the blogosphere.  Just when I think I have found them all, a link within a favorite blog leads me to a fresh idea and new resource.  One of my regular drool sources is The Lettered Cottage.  My husband and Layla’s have a lot in common.  Layla’s hubby is named Kevin, is in a band, and very handy with power tools.  My husband is named Kevin too!

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


Um, did I mention that MY husband is named Kevin, too?


So, dear readers, that’s where I stand.  In the coming weeks you will witness and perhaps help in the transformation that I am determined (make that HELL BENT!) to create in our own special castle.  Like that little train once said, “I think I can, I think I can…”

No comments: